Friday, January 26, 2007

Dog Sledging

Last time I was in Banff I didn't get the opportunity to try Dog sledging as the weather was so warm that the whole thing had to be cancelled. This time around I've managed it and so completed at least one thing I really wanted to do while I was out here.

The weather was superb for sightseeing. The temperature at about 5 degrees and it was sunny, with crystal clear skies. Great weather for taking picture.

However the weather wasn't so great for the dogs. they are most happy running at around the minus 15 mark and so get quite warm in this sort of weather. They eat and rolled in the snow each time we stopped, but were so happy just to be out running they didn't seem too affected.

The dogs were not like I pictured them, they were lot more like greyhounds and alot more friendly than I thought they would be. They were very well trained and disciplined, with most of them being ex racing team dogs.

I had five dogs called Ellipse, Timer, Tron, Ella and Rebel. with Ellipse and Timer being the lead dogs.

Oh and of course the Musher (driver) who was call Chad.

We ran down and back long the shores of a frozen lake for a 10K loop. we stopped about half way and the more mobile of us went down to stand on the lake. I was able to get down to a nice viewpoint and took a load of pics. While we where there we saw a couple of racing teams practicing out on the ice, they looked like lines of very fast moving ants.

Apart from the difficultly in getting in and out of the sledge, which the drivers were a great help with, it was a brilliant couple of hours and something I would love to try again.

Dog Sledging in Banff 2007 038

No comments: