Wednesday, February 14, 2007

nhs waiting...

So I had a appointment at the local hospital (the QE2) for 9:15am on Monday. It was all quite quick, partly I think, because of my Canadian medical notes and I didn't need to have a new set of Xrays done. The time consisted of 30 min's waiting with my Mum and then 3 min's meeting with the consultant while he looked at my leg.

He found a new, quite alarming way of making my knee bend so that it clicked
from this he could tell that there was something wrong with the ACL. he was not sure about the PCL, apparently looking at the other knee I have quite a lot of movement (loose knees?) to start with in my knees and so some of the large range of movement may be natural.

He said he was going to put in a request for an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) which will take three or four weeks to happen and then we'll have another consult to discuss what surgery I need.

It will be surgery as he saw from my Canadian notes (and I told him) about being a ski instructor and he agreed that I would need it fixing completely. apparently if your not too active the advice is to learn to live with it and just have some physio but as I want to be active then its the surgery. Also he said he would put me on the more urgent list so I would be more mobile sooner.

I can actually get around quite well now and only use the brace and a walking stick when I go outside.

When I first got back to my parents I didn't trust my leg to walk up stairs without hanging on to the rail. but now I can do it pretty easily. I'm walking around now with my full weight on it just not quite the full extension. I looks a little like I'm crouching down as I don't fully straighten my leg.

I tried a full walking motion this morning, that is start by putting your heal down leg straight, move your weight onto the leg starting to bend the knee and then move forward until just your toes are touching the ground with you leg behind you and all the weight on the other foot.

The motion is pretty good and I'm happy putting weight on the leg except for the very start of the movement. (warning icky bit coming up) When the leg is completely straight and I try and put weight on it, it isn't stable and tries to bend the wrong way. This is a most unpleasant feeling as you can feel all the different bits of the knee in quite a bit of detail as they rub against each other.

Away he put me on the quick list which means 3-4 weeks for the MRI and then about three months wait for the surgery. He also gave me a sick note to sign me off work for six weeks, which is nice (if a not really any use as I'm unemployed!)

Meanwhile ...

Jason called, he's in a bit less pain and the doctors just have him going to a bit of physio on his arm. He's back at his parents but unlike me isn't finding it much fun as he doesn't get on with them too well. His injury too, has rather screwed up his plans which were 1) to be a snowboard instructor 2) to go out to Oz to stay with his Brother. Adding on top that he works in the building industry (carpenter I think) he's not even able to work. It will be about 3 months before he'll be able to use the arm fully again.

and Finally ...

I also seem to be using the word quite, quite a bit, except of course when I misspell and everything gets low volume...

No comments: