Monday, September 17, 2007

Facebook and the voided pass

Poor Matt

Monday didn't go too well for my mate Matt. He was on holiday while all the redundancy thing was happening so officially didn't know anything about it. Fortunately some of us rang him at the weekend (although we didn't know if he was included as well) and told him all about it.

Otherwise the first he knew about it would have been on Monday morning when his door pass didn't work.

Which is exactly what happened.

Matt was always early into the office, usually getting in at 8:20ish. so he was half expecting it to happen and that he would have to wait around until someone else got into work. So I had a very odd phone conversation with him at about 8:40ish after he had tried to get it, with me sitting at home and him sitting in the park near the office waiting for 9 am so he could go in and get fired.

For him that's how 5 years of service ended to the company.

I did go in to work later on but Matt didn't stick around and went home. I was there to signed away my right to fight the redundancy and take the money. Also I was there to collect all my personal stuff.

So I cleaned my desk and my locker under the watchful eye of Charlotte from HR. Met with Susie to sign the agreement letter. I wasn't able to sign the no contest contract as I was told I needed to get legal advice first. Fortunately the company would put some money towards that and an independent lawyer was in the offices seeing some of the others so I got a bit of time with him. He took me through the contract and explained the process and sorted out some of the vague details with Susie. He said he would get the company to complete all the details and then he would mail me the contract to sign. Seemed like a nice chap for a lawyer!

Generally the day was a slow process as I stopped to talk to everyone coming backwards and forward. I was in the main lobby for quite a long time neither getting closer to the office or towards the door as a steady stream of people still employed and those collecting their stuff turned up.

It ended in the pub again as we discussed the events of the day over a few pints of beer.

When I got back I set up an ex-company group on facebook so we could all stay in touch.

No comments: