Friday, November 30, 2007

Thursday and my trip up to Town.

...or two interviews, one meeting with the agent, a job offer and a little light shopping.

An early start, smartly dressed this time, to meet the CTO of the digital agency. This is the first time I've gone to an interview and had to apologise for being too smart!

It was quite a tricky meeting with him asking lots of questions about Agile and Scrum and how I think things should be done in an IT department. So we talked and I've done this so many times in the last couple of weeks I'm trying to make all the answered sound like I've just made them up rather than said the same thing before. Also I'm trying to watch my body language so I send all the right signals with mirroring and stuff like that.

We ended with him saying good luck in the interview that afternoon and then he changes it to good luck making the right decision. I wasn't sure how it went and so I headed off to do some shopping while I killed 2 hours until the next interview.

The Seventh interview was with a small company with an amazing TV studio setup. They film and then broadcast company TV across satellites and the web. It was a good interview except for the interviewer asking me the same question several different way. I guess it was to see if the answers where all the same. I had a tour around the offices and got to see the huge TV mixing desk and the studio they do some green screen stuff.

OK by this stage its about 3pm and I'm trashed. but it's off the Agent for a debrief on the day's interviews. It's right across town and I'm wandering around Bank and Monument for a while trying to find the office, despite having been there before with a desperate need to go to the loo.

When I finally get there the Agent is as chipper as ever and was just getting down to grilling me on how the interviews went when he was called away to the phone.

He comes back in with a slightly bemused, stunned look on his face. 'That was [the digital media agency] on the phone, they really like you and want to offer you a job...for [the same amount as the other offer], which is er... 3 grand more than they were willing to pay!'

Hurrah ! I'll take it! I said and my job searching is over. They print me all the package details and send me on my way. I travelled home in a slight daze (well until I got my PSP out to play WipeOut) and broke the news to my Dad when I got home.

So I'm starting on Monday and I'm slightly scared at trying to match up to the person I come across as when I'm being interviewed. But at least I won't have to wear my suit again for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dave - I might have caught up with you yesterday if I'd managed to make it Moller's leaving do.