Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A word about the Music

I made a effort last night to get to the choir practice early last night and got there at just past 7. It normally starts at 7:30 but I wanted to let Joel, the teacher, know how several people in the group feel about this terrible Britten music and I wanted to tell him by himself and not in front of the whole group.
I made the points that its not fun and I don't feel I'm learning much because we are so focused on getting ready for the performance. We spend quite a lot of money on these lessons and expect to get something out of them. Also that the way things are carrying on he is driving people away from the choir.
Joel said he appreciated the feedback and would pass it on to the principal. He said next term he would definitely focus more on the lighter jazzier music and reintroduce some fun into the lessons. Not that I will benefit of course but it seems unfair on Joel not to let him know how things are. We did see some benefit during the lesson as we finished going through the piece early and he went and got some Christmas carol music to finish off this week. I great improvement, I didn't know Good King Wenceslas
had so many verses.

No comments: