Friday, November 24, 2006

My non promotion

I got promoted today...

well no I didn't but I did have a meeting this morning about what sort of deal I can have to come back after my trip and it included coming in as a senior developer one level above where I am now.

With finally the introduction of the skills matrix in the department, a list of all the permanent member of staff and a rating of how good they are at different skill (both technical and business related), it means that certain people in the department needed promoting. Because they link the relative level of the skills which a new set of pay scales (not something we had before) several people are good enough to be rated in the next level up from the one that they are currently in. So we had three, well deserved, promotions in the department two developers to senior developers and one from junior developer to developer.

For my own position Rob said that I would have been promoted today but as I was leaving the company soon it wouldn't look good for me to get promoted and then to leave straight away. So my promotion will come into effect when I come back. So it meeting next week to iron out the details and get it all in writing.

I believe Rob and Richard did make a special effort to get me a good deal with Andrew the MD. The offer improved from the start of the week in that I will get paid by bonus that I would have lost when I get back in April.

Also I explained in more detail about what it is that I'm actually doing and detailed the benefits the training will have to the company. I said the course also has components of leadership and teacher training both of which I can use at the Company.


So I'm not sure if how much damage financially this will cause me more information next week.

No comments: