Friday, September 01, 2006

Messages thru the mists of time

so I managed to mail my friend jis back and some up my life at the minute ...

I suppose the first thing to say is sorry! As you know part of the human male condition is our tardiness when it comes to replying to letters, etc. but half a year is pretty bad.
As to why I haven't replied I guess it was mainly because I wanted the email to be interesting and was waiting until something interesting to happened so I could mention it. Pretty silly really as that's a recipe for never getting around to it.
So although nothing Earth shattering to report, Hello!
(...ooh I've just noticed how simular to the start of your email that was freaky)
So what's been happening to me the last few years. Well I'm still living in London, I've now been in my flat and owner since 1999. It's located in the Docklands part of the city and I now own it up to about shoulder height of it. It's a good area with lots of stuff that has opened in the past few years so there's plenty of things to do.Its also pretty handy to get anywhere in London which is one of the main reasons why after all this time I still like being there.
My current work is in Victoria which is the other side of London and it only takes about an hour. Of course if you ask an Londoner how long it takes to get to somewhere in London they will tell you about an hour no matter where it is, but its a fact it takes about an hour. The company I now work of and have been for nearly two years, is called uS****h.com. They are a web site were you can pick out better deals on your gas supplier, broadband connection, current accounts, etc. Not a bad place to work as I have a very good view of Buckingham place and the park from the office window (still!). Actually you may of heard of our parent company as they are American. They are called S***pps, I believe that they own Dilbert, Snoopy and most of the local newspaper in America. They bought us about 4 months ago for a silly amount of money around about 180 million pounds.
On the social side of things I'm currently single and don't have any kids. however I do know a bit about what you where talking about of how kids can effect your like as I'm now an uncle twice over, a boy and a girl. Ivy who is a bossy one and a half and little Freddy who is a very jolly seven months.
My big plans for the future, well near future at least, revolves around skiing. This January for three months I'm planning on taking a break from work (they don't know yet) and spending the time learning to become a ski instructor. I've chosen a course based in Banff which should polish up my skiing to a high level and get me through half the Canadian Instructor grades in three months. So I'm already getting a bit excited about it and I've been doing training running around London in preparation, well trying to. This means I'm trying to work out the best thing to do with my flat while I'm away. If I'm lucky I should have no problem renting it out to someone who works up at Canary Wharf and, hopefully, cover my mortgage and most of my trip expenses.
The other unusual event I have coming up is to do with a choir I've been singing for, for a couple of years now.This Christmas we will be doing Benjamin Britten's St Nicholas with about two hundred other people. Its a full Cantata with professional tenor and amateur choir (us) and a mixed orchestra. Not really my taste in music but should be an experience to be in the middle of the choir and orchestra.
Well that's some of the thing happening to me at the moment. I do also have some items of news about people from Uni. that you may remember
I see a fair bit of Big Phil and the other guys from my house in Leeds and some of them where only down a coupleof weekends ago to go to the CAMRA British Beer Festival at Earl's Court. Of course we are all a little wider than we used to be (must be the beer) except Phil who cut quite a slimish figure these days.
Also Colin Mortimer and his wife Clare are good friends and are living close to me in London just across the river from me in Rotherhide. So I see them very often.
Next week Paul Ryan and his wife Rachel are having the baptism of their second kid, Sam, and I going up to Darlington for it. I should meet up with a couple of the lads from Leeds and hear what they have been up to.
Also if you can remember Julie Thomson, well she's having wedding do next month. Not the actual Wedding that was last January in Algeria (Husband's Country) it's more of a wedding blessing but still a good excuse for a right old knees up.
...um it sounds quite exiting now that I look at it all on paper!
Anyway hope life is well with you and your growing clan. It does sound your have an exciting time of it and arestill the dynamic go getter I remember from that TV program.
Cheers
D
P.S. Nearly forgot my contact details!

...

No comments: