Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week Two - Get your hands up

This weeks instructor is called Tim, an Aussie with full set of their skiing qualifications. He skis in a very controlled style with his tight turns pretty constant not matter what the terrain.
Mike joined the group still recovering from his knee problem. My group is meant to be a bit more gentle so he can recover.

The three main areas, Tim had me concentrating on were, keep your hands up (I drop the hand after the poll plant which twists the body), keep the upper body still and turn from the feet (balance and movement in the turn should be coming from the lower body not the upper which throws the balance out and makes the turn a lot harder).

Tim introduced us to some more steeps including a drop into west bowl called Cockalorum which I completely messed up, crashed, lost a ski and slid down the steep (60 degree-ish) slope on my belly for about 20 metres until I could stop myself by using my poles like ice axes. My ski went another 30 metres and had to be rescued by Tim.

The weather was a big mix with days of sun, blizzard, fog and v cold winds. The conditions proved a bit too much for my selection of goggles and I ended up getting a set of Vonzipper Feemon's for 150 dollars! Since then I've no more problems with fogging/icing up which makes for a much better skiing experience when you can see what you are doing.

Away from skiing we have had a couple of good nights out to the Karaoke at the Crystal lounge and generally around town. I've also managed to get to the local climbing wall on Wednesday which was quite good and that old familiar arm burn lasted a few days. They have the same grading system for bouldering but the routes were so overlapping that different colours got very confusing. The centre called the Core is good with about 8 descent size walls to have fun on.

No comments: